The Construction Specifications Institute, Inc. (“we” “us”) welcomes you to our websites, apps, communities and other web services (“Web Services”).
We are a national association of individuals (“Members”), chapters (“Chapters”) and regions (“Regions”) dedicated to advancing building information management and educating project teams to improve facility performance.
When you use one or more of our Web Services, whether you are a visitor or a CSI member (“Member”), you agree to the following Terms of Service (“Terms”). Please read the Terms carefully.
Purpose and Use
We provide the Web Services and the text, images, video, graphics and multimedia files that you see on each Web Service (“Content”) for educational and informational purposes only.
You agree to use the Web Services, the Content, and the services provided on the Web Services (“Services”) only for purposes permitted by these Terms and any applicable law or regulation. You will not:
- Interfere with or disrupt any Web Service, the normal use of a Web Service by other authorized users, the Content, the Services or the servers and networks associated with each Web Service;
- Upload any unlawful Materials; or
- Use any Web Service in violation of local, state, or national law.
We own the Web Services, our trade name, CSI®, CSI and Design®, CSI BUILDING KNOWLEDGE IMPROVING PROJECT DELIVERY and Design®, THE CONSTRUCTION SPECIFIER®, MASTERFORMAT®, PPDFORMAT®, UNIFORMAT®, SECTIONFORMAT/PAGEFORMAT®, GREENFORMAT®, OMNICLASS® and related trademarks, service marks, designs and logos that we use on the Web Services and in commerce (collectively “CSI Properties”).
Unless we permit you in writing, you may not copy, sell, trade, use or allow others to use the CSI Properties. All other trademarks that appear on a Web Service are the property of their respective owners and are used only to refer to those companies’ goods and services.
Address your questions about using the CSI Properties to:
The Construction Specifications Institute, Inc.
110 South Union Street, Suite 100
Alexandria, Virginia 22314-1791
Content and Information
The Content is the responsibility of the Content provider. We are not responsible or liable for the Content provided by others. Some Content may be protected by intellectual property rights owned by partners, sponsors, advertisers or Members providing that Content to us. Unless we permit you in writing, you may not copy, sell, trade, use or allow others to use the Content.
You are responsible for the information that you provide to us about yourself (“Information”) as a visitor or, as applicable, in the Member in the members-only portion of a Web Service (“Members Area”).
If you participate in any of our online communities (“Communities”), you will follow the Community Rules of Conduct detailed below.
What Information we gather
You decide how much of your Information you disclose to us.
For visitors, we gather Information needed to process your transactions and fulfill your requests, including contact information that you provide and demographic information that you volunteer via applications or surveys.
For Members, we gather Information necessary to maintain our membership records, communicate with you and provide you with benefits. This may include your name, e-mail address, phone number, address, and email address, your Member number, your password, your affiliations, your certifications and demographic information that you volunteer via applications or surveys.
You are responsible for the accuracy of the Information that you provide and for maintaining the secrecy of your password and your account Information. You may correct and update your Information at any time, as provided on each Web Service. We periodically audit the Information and will remove information that is incomplete or which you, a Chapter or a Region has informed us is inaccurate.
If you intend to pay for something via a payment portion of a Web Service, we will gather your payment information only for long enough to process your transaction. If you do not want to provide your payment information online, you may mail or fax your order to us. We will not retain or store your payment information after the transaction is processed, and we will not sell, share or provide that information to third parties.
When you visit a Web Service, our server will assign your browser a unique identification number stored in a file on your computer (“Cookie”) unless you have disabled Cookies on your computer. Cookies identify your browser, but not you personally, to our computers whenever you interact on our Web Services. Cookies may also be used by third party content providers such as newsfeeds.
We gather and archive, for each Web Service, basic logging statistics showing the daily number of visitors to a Web Service and its subdirectories, daily requests for particular files, originating server locations and server or browser domain names. We use these aggregated statistics internally to provide better service to the public, but we may also provide these statistics to others.
What Information we do not gather
- Non-public personal information such as your Social Security number or any other information that could be used to determine credit- or employment-worthiness.
- Non-public personal information that you may post on our social media site. You control the content and the degree that this information is public using the tools on that site. If you post non-public personal information online that is accessible to the public, you do so at your own risk.
Where we gather Information
We gather Information from you in plainly marked Web Service areas. For example, we request Information from you when you:
Activate your online member account or register as a customer or guest.
- Place an order.
- Send, phone or fax to us a written application for membership.
- Provide feedback in an online survey.
- Participate in a promotional offer.
- Request e-mail notification of your order status.
- Change your Information.
- Participate in other interactive services.
How we use Information
We use this Information to:
- Help us to know our Members and visitors.
- Enable us to enhance your Web Service visit and to improve and customize the content and layout of our Web Services and other communications tools.
- Track usage of the Web Services.
- Assist you with Member support issues.
- Follow up with you after your visit.
- Send to you messages that we approve and to which you have subscribed (“Messages”).
- Send to you mail and emails about our various products and services, upcoming events and programs, or other products and services that we feel may be of interest to you (“Mailings”).
- Compile Member directories.
How we share Information
We share this Information with:
- Our Chapters and Regions to assist with Member tracking.
- Service providers that provide services on our behalf, such as credit card processors or printers and distributors of our publications.
- Our sponsors and suppliers in the form of non-personalized, demographic information about our Members.
- Our sponsors and suppliers subject to an agreement that restricts use of the Information to specific uses and subject to Member preferences, this Policy and applicable privacy laws.
If we are required by law enforcement or judicial authorities to provide Information, we will do so to the extent that we determine disclosure is appropriate. We may also provide Information as necessary to protect the personal safety of our Members or the public. If we merge or are acquired, we would transfer the Information to the acquiring entity subject to the terms of this policy.
How we store and send Information
We maintain security procedures and standards for storing and sending Information that we believe are as safe as today’s technology permits. We test these procedures and modify them regularly as new technologies become feasible.
If you do not want to receive certain Messages or Mailings, you can opt out in several ways:
- Adjust your preferences on your profile page.
- Click on the opt-out link if one is provided in a Message or Mailing.
- Email us at [email protected] that you name be removed from future Messages or Mailings.
- Write to us at The Construction Specifications Institute, Inc., 110 South Union Street, Suite 100, Alexandria, Virginia 22314-1791 requesting that you name be removed from future Messages or Mailings.
The Web Services may contain hyperlinks to other websites, content or resources (collectively, “Other Sites”). Other Sites may gather information about you when you view them. We cannot control and are not responsible for their collection of information and suggest that you review Other Sites’ privacy policies before providing them with your personal information.
When you first use some of our Web Services, you will be asked to select a password. You may change your password at any time by following the directions on the applicable Web Service.
You acknowledge that if we disable access to your account, you may be prevented from accessing a password-protected area, your Information or other content in your account.
Community Rules of Conduct
Our online communities (“Communities”) allow you to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation.
If you want to participate in a Community, your access will depend upon your relationship with us. Some Communities are open only to Members, others are open to Members in particular (i.e., Chapter Leaders), while others depend on your registration status for exams or events.
Please direct your Communities questions to [email protected]
You are responsible for materials and content that you create and post to a Community (“Posting”) and for the consequences of that Posting. We are not obligated to publish your Posting.
When you use the Communities, you will:
- Identify yourself as author of the Posting.
- Warrant that the Posting is true and does not violate these Terms or any rights of any third party.
- Post only materials and content that adds to the body of knowledge.
- Post only to the most appropriate Community lists or libraries rather than spamming several lists or libraries with the same Posting.
- Use caution when discussing people, products or services; Communities are public and your comments are subject to libel, slander and related laws.
- Remember that other participants have the right to reproduce Community postings unless you specify otherwise.
- Grant to us a nonexclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, sub-licensable, royalty-free license to use, store, display, publish, transmit, transfer, distribute, reproduce, aggregate the Posting with other Content, create derivative works of and publicly perform the Posting for any purpose, in any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed.
- Indemnify and defend us, our affiliates, officers, employees, agents, partners, sponsors and advertisers from any and all liability, damages or expenses arising from or related to third party claims related to your use of the Communities.
To preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we may reject any posting to a Community for any reason. If we determine that you have violated these Rules of Conduct, we may:
- Remove your posting.
- Notify you and ask that you not violate these Rules of Conduct.
- Review and approve all of your future contributions before those are shared with the Community.
- Suspend you from a Community or Communities.
Reporting Content Violations
If you believe that your intellectual property rights have been violated by Content or a Posting, please send written notice to the address listed under “Contact Us” below that:
- Describes the intellectual property that you believe was infringed (“Infringed Property”) and where the Infringed Property is located on the Web Services;
- Includes your address, a telephone number, and an e-mail address where we can contact you;
- States that you have a good-faith belief that the infringing use is not authorized by the Infringed Property owner, by its agent, or by law;
- States, under penalty of perjury, that the information in your notice is accurate and that you are the Infringed Property owner or are authorized to act on their behalf; and
- Includes your electronic or physical signature.
We may request additional information before removing any Content or Posting.
You understand and agree that you use any Web Service at your own risk and that we provide the Web Services “AS IS” and “AS AVAILABLE” without any express or implied warranties of merchantability, reliability, non-infringement or fitness for a particular purpose.
Also, we do not warrant that:
- The Web Services will meet your requirements;
- Will operate without interruption or error;
- Content will be accurate or reliable;
- Content will not damage your computer; or
- We will correct a Web Service deficiency.
You understand that we, our Members, Chapters, partners, sponsors and advertisers will not be liable for any consequential, incidental, indirect or punitive damages associated with your use of a Web Service, or for any loss resulting from
- Your reliance on the Web Services;
- Your transactions with an advertiser or sponsor on the Web Services;
- Changes that we make to the Web Services;
- The deletion, corruption or failure to store your Information or Content;
- Your failure to provide and maintain accurate Information; or
- Your failure to keep your password and account details confidential.
NOTHING IN THESE TERMS EXCLUDES OR LIMITS OUR WARRANTY OR LIABILITY FOR LOSSES WHICH MAY NOT BE LAWFULLY EXCLUDED OR LIMITED BY APPLICABLE LAW. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OR THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, BREACH OF CONTRACT OR BREACH OF IMPLIED TERMS, OR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. ACCORDINGLY, ONLY THE LIMITATIONS THAT ARE LAWFUL IN YOUR JURISDICTION WILL APPLY TO YOU AND OUR LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
We may terminate your access to any or all of the Web Services if:
- You breach the Terms or act in a way which we believe shows that you do not intend to or are unable to comply with the Terms;
- We are required to do so by law; or
- We decide to discontinue any or all of the Web Services.
We may terminate your access to a Web Service Members Area for any of these reasons or if you are no longer a Member.
These Terms, your use of one or more Web Services and your relationship will be interpreted and enforced under Commonwealth of Virginia law without regard to its conflict of law principles and any litigation arising from these Terms or your use of the Web Services will be held exclusively in Alexandria, Virginia courts.
Changes to Terms
These terms and conditions represent the entire understanding relating to the use of the Web Services and prevail over any prior or contemporaneous, conflicting or additional, communications. From time to time, we may change the Web Services, these Terms or the Services without prior notice to you. Changes will become effective when we post them to the Web Services. We will treat your use of the Web Services after new Terms are published as your acceptance of the new Terms.
Thank you for visiting our Web Services. If you have questions about our policies, please to contact us at [email protected]
The Construction Specifications Institute, Inc.
110 South Union Street, Suite 100
Alexandria, Virginia 22314-1791