April’s Informational Session – Download The Slides
Pali Highway Repair Project & State Highways Resilience Strategies
Presented by Ed Sniffen, Hawaii Dept of Transportation, Deputy Director for Highways
The presentation covered:
- Why is resilience of the highway system important?
- Recent impacts to the highway system & repair strategies
- Pali Highway Emergency Repairs
- Kuhio Highway Emergency Repairs
- Lower East Rift Zone Event – Kilauea
- Kamehameha Highway Emergency Repairs
- Long-term Strategy
Learning Objectives were:
- Understand the importance of resilient transportation infrastructure, especially Hawaii’s highway systems
- Learn about the recent impacts from natural disasters to the highway systems on Oahu and Hawaii island (Pali Hwy, Kuhio Hwy & Kamehameha Hwy Emergency Repairs… and Lower East Rift Zone Event – Kilauea)
- Learn about Repair Strategies used for the above mentioned impacted highways
- Learn about long-term strategies for highway systems in Hawaii.